Sunday, June 30, 2013

....Good Ole Fashion Bread!!...

Hey guys, sorry for the MIA...I have been busy!! I have been craving homemade bread for the longest time. So a couple of days ago, I came across a recipe on YouTube for a wheat/white bread combo. So I said hey, why not. I got the recipe from TheCraftyGemini. I have made bread before but it was with a different recipe.

Ingredients

1 cup Wheat Flour (She used 1/2 cup)
White Bread Flour (As needed, all depends on your location because of humidity)
1 1/2 cups Water
1 Tbl Spoon Oil
1/2 Tsp Honey
1 1/2 Tsp Yeast
1 Tsp Salt (She used 2 but I did not want it to be too salty)

The first thing you must do is get the temperature of the water to be between 103F-108F. If the temperature is off, it will through everything off. It took me about 3 tries to get it right. I was frustrated so I didn't take that many pictures. Add the honey and give it a quick mix. Sprinkle the yeast on top. DO NOT MIX THE YEAST!

Cover the bowl with a towel and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. The yeast should form a layer on top. If it does not happen you need to start over.This is where I was having my difficulty. I do not know if my yeast was not good but it did not create a film all across the bowl like hers. It had lumps of the layer so I used it anyway. 

Next, I added 1/2 cup of the wheat flour and mixed it up. I then mixed in the salt and the oil. I then added the rest of the wheat flour. I then proceeded to add in the white bread flour a 1/2 cup at a time until you get the right consistency  The right consciency is when the dough is slightly sticky but now enough that it steaks to your had. When the dough becomes difficult to stir, lightly flour your surface and begin to nead. Work in the flour. REMEMBER 1/2 cup at a time.

Once the dough it read grease a bowl with oil and place the dough in the bowl. rub the dough around the bowl until the bottom is coated in the oil. Turn the dough over and repeat. Place a towel over the dough and allow it to rise. for about 40 minutes.

Here is where my issue arose. My dough did not rise. Exactly, I know right. I think it all came back to my yeast. But I was determined to finish what I started. I pressed down and let it rise again. But nothing happened. I pre-heated my oven to 350 and formed dinner rolls. I coated a cookie sheet with cooking spray and

placed the rolls on the sheet. I baked them for about 15-20 minutes.


And guess what??? They came out tasting great. I was surprised as you are. I made sweet butter (honey, cinnamon, and sugar). And let me tell you, they were....GREAT together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment